SIXT MYKONOS CDW/INSURANCE SCAM

Bretsinclair

SIXT MYKONOS CDW/INSURANCE SCAM

Post by Bretsinclair » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:30 am

Hi all,

I wanted to share my recent experience with SIXT Mykonos. I have been a SIXT customer, and a SIXT loyalty member for years and have been using their fleets all over Europe. I usually hire, premium to luxury vehicles which is why I use them as they have mostly recent German cars.

I recently hired a BMW X1 in Mykonos for 10 days. I pre booked using the app and took on the 2nd level of CDW, reducing my excess down to 1250€. I am usually comfortable with that as I also have insurance with both my Amex and insurance4carhire who refund your excess in case of a claim.

Upon picking up the car, the SIXT attendant highly recommended I take the best level of cover they have. The most expensive CDW they have reduces the excess down to €70 at a cost of 200€. I took him on his offer thinking about the narrow roads of the island and the fact I would be using valet parking every day.

Everything went well throughout the holiday. On drop off day, after dropping the luggage and circling in the parking lot for 20 minutes, I doubled parked and went inside the terminal. I spoke to the SIXT attendants telling them I couldn’t find parking spaces who advised me to keep on trying and to park the car anywhere I could find. After circling around another 3 times around, I lost patience and unfortunately collided with an oncoming car. I damaged the front end of the car and the side of the other car.

After 30min the insurer drives up on a scooter and starts filling in forms. The SIXT attendants was present for a bit, reminding me how good it was of him to have pushed for the best cover as I would have otherwise paid up for the €1250 excess. We exchange details, we confirm how it happened, (which is pretty straight forward) they tell me all is ok, we all sign the papers and I get on my plane. At this stage I am pretty confident as it doesn’t say anywhere whose fault it is and the SIXT attendant is present most of the time and I am confident no matter what I am well covered.

3 days later, I get a credit charge for 900€ ish. I email them straight away and they claim I am not covered against traffic violations. They send me an extract of the contract where it says in tiny that traffic violation are voiding the cover!!! I have used this company for years and have always taken some kind of CDW every time. The disclaimer SIXT is hiding behind, is unclear at best and I do not understand how they can sell insurance that basically does not cover you in case of an accident…

In my opinion this is either fraud or misselling insurance. My problem is that I hire cars all the time and that at this stage I don’t know what to think. Are these insurance, CDW completely worthless in case of an accident of is it just this particular Greek branch that is abusing the system?

I have appealed to AMEX and claimed this with Insurance4carhire. I am issuing proceeding with SIXT Mykonos as I believe to have been conned. I would love some feedback if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Regards

Robert

Post by Robert » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:13 pm

have you already contacted the sixt customer service by phone and did you explain the problem there?
I think in worst case AMEX or Insurance4carhire are going to refund you the 900,-

Airport

Post by Airport » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 pm

Welcome here in the forum @Bretsinclair!

Due to the fact that you have Amex and insurance4carhire I would not waste my time with Sixt. Send them the invoice. They should solve the issue.

Clubman

Post by Clubman » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:44 am

For sure I`d send a mail to the Sixt Customer Support @Bretsinclair . In parallel I`d call the Customer Support in order to clarify the behaviour of the Sixt staff at Mykonos. I`ve also had some trouble in terms of a dammaged wheel with Sixt on the Canary Islands. The Customer Support finally could sort out my issue. They were fair. :D

Coolboy30

Post by Coolboy30 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:55 am

Bretsinclair wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:30 am
I am issuing proceeding with SIXT Mykonos as I believe to have been conned. I would love some feedback if anyone has experienced anything similar.
I suggest not only to talk to Sixt Mykonos but better to report the issue to Sixt headquaters at Munich/Germany and ask for support.

Jonson

Post by Jonson » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 am

In order to be on the safe side and to avoid discussions I`m still looking for an issurance which reduces the excess down to zero. I don`t want to pay a high price to an individual rental company. Someone any idea for the US?

Return to “Sixt”