Rental Car and Blocking on Debit or Credit Card

Fargo

Rental Car and Blocking on Debit or Credit Card

Post by Fargo » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 am

Almost all rental companies block on the debit or credit card an amount of money which is higher than the agreed rental cost. The reason simply is to protect themselves from possible charges beyond the amount that was originally authorized. The rental companies like Sixt, Hertz, Avis and others do this to make sure that there’s enough money or credit available to pay for the final bill. Of course the rental companies will not process the blocked amount if the car is returned as promised in the appropriate rental contract. It is important to check before renting a car whether the credit limit or the balance in the bank account is not too low when a block is placed as otherwise the card could be declined for additional purchases.

Conclusion: Blocking a certain amount of money on the debit or credit card in the frame of a car rental is only to protect the rental company from possible charges which might be beyond the amount that was originally authorized.

Bentley

Post by Bentley » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:11 am

Thank you @Fargo for this clarification. people who rent for the first time frequently have asked me this question as well. It`s helpful! ;) :D

copper

Post by copper » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:12 am

I experienced one time that my credit limit was too low at the the day of the pick up of the rental car. Finally I succeeded due to the fact that I had a second credit card with me. It`s really worthwhile to check the available credit limit in advance. ;)

Airbrusher

Post by Airbrusher » Sat May 20, 2023 3:57 am

copper wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:12 am
I experienced one time that my credit limit was too low at the the day of the pick up of the rental car. Finally I succeeded due to the fact that I had a second credit card with me. It`s really worthwhile to check the available credit limit in advance. ;)
I fully agree on that @copper. I do always the same. Either I check my actual credit line in advance and/or I have always a second credit card with me when picking up a rental car. Then I`m / I was always on the safe side.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”